Monday 16 June 2008

Withheald Expression and Consumption

Having just sorted through my A Level art work I feel a guilt, a guilt which is telling me I should follow and apply my talent as an artist. Yet there is also a guilt holding me back, that is my mother. She doesn't want me to have a career in art as she sees it as a non-starter and constantly reminds me of teachers comments of the time that my production of work was'too slow'. Yet no one ever questioned why I was so slow at producing my work. The constant and mind-numbing lessons taken day after to day bored and uninspired me, I had no motivation to continue with something I had got bored with weeks before.

To insure my interest things have to move and change quickly.


There is also the constant reminder that graduate careers are always said to be 'hard to get into,you'll have to move to London and work for little money'.


happy work

I suppose if you really want something you haven't to bother about those kind of things, the only thing I know that I really want is to be happy. Not rich, just happy living a decent quality of life, without having to work all hours of the day in a job I really hate. I want to be employed in a job I'll always enjoy. A recent Guardian article defined this way of thinking as the 'Generation Y'.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/may/25/workandcareers.worklifebalance

Yet a lot of people I know, whom are the same age as I, are driven towards money and materialism. One friend got a job in sixth form to buy herself a (very small) Gucci bag, then her dad bought her a BMW and she's only gone into the kind of degree she has for the pound signs, a recent comment about staying on at University an extra year was,

'why should I leave now and get a average graduate job for like £28 thousand when I can do an extra year and earn like £35-40 thousand when I leave instead'
money


Fair enough, but isn't this just snobbery? Most people would be happy with £28 thousand for a graduate salary- I know I would be, but I suppose different people hold different values towards money. It's always important to remember however that money can't make you happy, and neither can the consumption of the latest wannabe high status symbol-you're always going to be lacking, no matter how much you earn or how many expensive items you've bought with your monthly wage.

No comments: