Tuesday 11 November 2008

Shiny, Shiny Things

My attention was stolen this weekend by...no, not men in fur coats...but sequins! And even more amazing, sequin bow ties!

I was sat around on the usual Sunday night this weekend with nothing to do and my imagination ran away with me. I was trying to create a smart, but flashy, attention seeking outfit for the opening of a new club I was considering attending.

I came across these beauties on Topshop's website (topshop.com).

Given that the knickers are featured as part of Topshop's ‘Circus’ collection, images of ring masters came into my mind, ring masters with matching black sequin bow ties. This thought, I love. So I am now on the quest to either find somewhere that's selling black sequin bow ties (that isn’t a joke shop), or to create my own!



Urban Outfitters may have had them in a few months back, but I missed the boat-sad times, obviously. Now all they are stocking is boring polka dot bow ties, and even they are in the sale! Still, I'd imagine they'd still look pretty swish paired with a black and white over-sized checked shirt!

Something I'd really like to query is why we never see sequins in summer, and if we do, it’s kept very very minimal or related to ethnical fashions. But why never the full on sequin shorts?

Sequins do have their day though. They were last 'in' when I was in my first year of University (2005). I bought a silver sequin bolero from the 915 (children's) section of New Look and wore it for out Christmas ball. Today it’s sat in a bag in my bottom draw with half of the sequins missing. Still, I'm sure I could get some more wear out of it this time around!

No comments: